Spouse of a US Citizen

Spouse of a US Citizen

For the lawfully wedded partner of a permanent resident of the United States, the government provides the facility of permanent residency. Through this, a non-resident can indulge in lawful and certified matrimonial bliss with a resident of the US. While most marriages for the given section occur lawfully, there are notorious occurrences too. The US government and the immigration authorities take the act very seriously.

Any false proof or tampering of evidence can lead to the deportation of the non-resident spouse and strict legal action against the resident one. However, marriage might not be always made for the whole distance, due to which the process is divided into 2 types:

Conditional Resident Spouse Visa (CR1)

(Validity: 2 years) (Entry Validity: 6 Months)

The conditional residence clause for the visa is a criterion that allows the alien spouse and the marriage for the first 2 years. If the marriage goes through, the spouse is allowed for the next process. However, upon divorce or fallout, the spouse would be eligible for deportation back to the native country.

Immediate Relative Spouse Visa (IR1)

(Validity: 10 years) (Entry Validity: 6 Months)

Once the 2-year barrier is crossed, the couple can apply for the IR1 visa with the right set of procedure information. This shall provide the person with a green card and a status of permanent residency in the United States.

Feel free to send us your queries